Sunday, September 21, 2008

people who care.

I ride horses. I have since I was a little girl and I loved it. There is a portion of my heart that is and always will be a cowgirl. In one of my favorite horse movies, Flicka, Katie says the following, “There was once a time when Americans came west to discover their destiny. Today they seem to move around everyway restless and unsettled. But I think they are still looking for the same thing. A place where they can be optimistic about the future. A place that helps them to be who they really want to be. Where they can feel that this life makes sense.”

Okay, but when does this life really ever make sense. I am not sure we will ever find, in this life, a place that makes complete sense. We can go to school and learn all we may, but regardless, we are still human beings with finite brains and imperfections.

Life is not as simple as finding a place where life just makes sense. We have responsibilities, duties, and loads of other things we must do. So the quest for finding a place where life makes sense, falls to the side, while our worldly responsibilities move to the forefront of our minds.

In part I disagree, the quote is indeed beautiful, I believe that we all our trying to be optimistic about our future. But I believe the challenge is not to find that place where we can become who we truly want to be, and where this life makes sense, but rather the challenge is to, make sense of the world and grow to our potential in the situation we are put in too. This challenge, is not only more difficult, but forces us to be optimistic always and try our hardest even when it’s not easy.

Moving to a new place is hard. Leaving the people you know and love is not easy. Leaving the people who truly understand you and best know how to help you is hard, but its part of finding ourselves, in our own time and our own environment. At first, it can be so difficult and seemingly unbearable, but I know that once we will look past ourselves, we will learn of the goodness of people who care. People who may not know you, or your situation, or how to help you, care. It is a beautiful thing that is so rarely found in the hustle and bustle of life. But it is the goodness of people, the way God intended things to be. Us watching out for our brothers and sisters regardless of where they come from or what they look like. Its charity in the most pure form. It truly is the love of Christ.

I have been the recipient of such love. In many forms from many different people. I want to focus on the people who I now consider very close friends. Who 3 weeks ago, barely knew me, more than they know a stranger on the street. There have been a few girls who have entered my life, who do not even realize the positive affect they have had on me. They unknowingly have touched my life, with such Christlike attributes.

While I am difficult and do not admit when I am having a bad day. They do small things, that they don’t realize that really make me see that they care. After knowing me for 3 weeks they care about me and it amazes me. Whether they are forcing me to eat, cause I haven’t in a few days, or tucking me into bed cause I need a nap, they are amazing. They are so sweet to me, and are much more than I deserve. They know me better than they realize because they care for me. They realize if I am having a bad day and quietly show me they care. These simple acts they unknowingly perform, make me see the world making sense. I love them very much and they are quite literally helping me become the person I truly want to be. In a place I didn’t want to grow in, I am growing and learning. Through myself, trials, and my friends.

2 comments:

Elyse Dial said...

I'm glad you've found people to spend time with who see you as the girl you are. The girl I see you as. Love ya baby

Katie Evans said...

What goes around, comes around. Ever since I've known you, you've been that girl who helped to lift others up and bring hope and faith to those who were discouraged.

Now it's coming back around to you. I wish I could be there to give you a hug.

I love ya, girl!